Friday, March 28, 2014

Learning to be the Artist I want to be.


It's tea time, March 28th, 2014.

Lately, the inspirational creature that lives inside me has grown more temperamental and wanting to let loose. It has to do with several reasons and I know this sort of thing doesn't just happen on its own. Nothing ever happens on its own. As someone who's field is working with what they love - creativity - there's always that misconception that "inspiration just happens."

It takes lots of consistent labor, actually, and not just in making art work! I am thankful that my success in selling my work is growing, but I understand why that is and I wish that more artists understood the following....


Learn to be you. Understanding and being aware of who you are, your actions, your desires, your small habits and your biggest fears, and giving in to it is one important step. Whether it's a start for you or a continuation of your work, learning to be you at home and in public is highly beneficial.

Expect the constant struggles. Be a welcoming person to all things! It will guide you to the places you might need to be. 

Working on the creative stuff as much as you work on the admin stuff. Taking time to edit or update your website, sharing images on social media, posting, replying to people is part of our jobs as artists. I mean, we want to have people buy our work eventually, right? We need to start a following, plus the internet is free! 

Be curious about the world. I love watching TED Talks, PBS and Art 21 shows. That's my little circle of "internet friends" I can meditate ideas with back and forth. There's something exciting about knowledge and actively surrounding yourself with it. It makes me feel like a kid in school who's learning about a really cool bug or ancient civilization. Which also brings me to...

Be surprised. I LOVE surprises and what that teaches me about myself! It makes me happy to let something bewilder my senses and make me think. It's a great way to keep your mind sharp and active!

One of these days I might have blogs elaborating more on these points, but for the meantime it was good to just get them out there.

I'll promise myself to write more on the bigger and the smaller things that go on around me. It's just plain fun to have a personal blog and live out my creative side in all ends of the spectrum.

Thanks for popping by!

Photo's in this blog entry are courtesy of "Women's TEA TIME" Facebook page, 
who is always posting inspirational images and words.



No comments:

Post a Comment