Friday, June 27, 2014

The Calligraphic Dancer - Beginnings




My next project is called The Calligraphic Dancer. I started in 2012, yet after my Fall graduation I paused due to a number of reasons. It's been two years and it feels really nice to return to something a tad more conceptual and full of layers. Painting is wonderful, but I'm ready for new things.

An artist talks about their experiences through the mediums they feel are appropriate. In doing so, they reveal their own sort of "language." For me the fun part is watching the beauty of chance and the beauty of failure reveal themselves. This project can go in so many ways and I'm not sure if this visual exploration into Middle Eastern Dance will work. As a source of inspiration, John Cage's special words hang on the walls of my studio: "Art is not an escape from life, but rather an introduction to it."
So if my work is an introduction to Middle Eastern Dance, I hope that it will be a tasteful, perceptive and fresh one.

Serpent's Hip Circle

This week I worked on the basic shapes and started with "circles." What are movements in Belly Dance that make "circles?" We have three sizes of hip circles, small (omi's), medium and large. We also have circles of the ribcage, shoulders and head (which can translate more to swinging and flipping your hair). So many more, but I'm sticking to basics....

So far out of about 50+ tries, the image to the right has been my favorite. I call it the Serpent's hip circle or hip circle with heel taps.

For you dancers out there, can you dance it?

For you non-dancers (yet *wink wink*) or beginners, take a look at the image below with numbers. Imagine you're breaking down a large hip circle. You'll start in the middle. Then, slide your hip to the right and tap your heels to the floor creating a small bounce of the body (that's one). Two, slide back and heel tap. Three, keep your hips back but slide left and heel tap. Four, follow the smooth line by bringing your hips forward again and finish the circle! How did it go...?


Stay connected for more on my progress! 

The future had loads more research and involvement, I promise it'll be fun.
Thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment